The participating forces were also requested to closely follow developments of the storm and work with local authorities and agencies to double-check dams and important dyke sections in order to respond quickly to possible incidents and ensure safety for local people. Meanwhile, military units in storm-hit areas were urged to treat wounded people, inquire after families who lost their relatives during the storm, mobilize local forces and people to repair damaged roads, houses, telecommunications and irrigation systems, clean up the environment, and prevent possible epidemics.
* The Vung Ang – Son Duong Port Border Guard Station under the Ha Tinh provincial Border Guard Command on July 18 successfully fished out three trawlers earlier sunk by strong waves and winds while docking in Son Duong port.
After receiving the information about the sunk trawlers, the unit’s troops immediately contacted and inquired after the owners, namely Dao Hoai Nam, Nguyen Xuan Minh, and Nguyen Van Vu in Ky Loi commune, Ky Anh town. The unit also sent 15 troops, a rescue ship and a crane to work with two local trawlers to conduct the rescue operation.
Colonel Dinh Ma Phong, the Commander of the Vung Ang-Son Duong Port Border Guard Station, said that because the trawlers sank from 15 to 20 meters deep under the water, the unit’s troops had to carefully tie up the trawlers to minimize damage.
* The Vietnam Electricity announced on July 18 that it completely fixed power grids in Nam Dinh, Ninh Binh, and Quang Binh provinces which had been badly hit by recent storm Talas, the second storm this year. The company is also striving to soon complete the repair of electrical poles and lines in other heavily-affected localities, including Thanh Hoa, Nghe An and Ha Tinh. Earlier, storm Talas had knocked out electricity to households in various Northern and Central localities.
* 3,500 tourists stuck in Co To island district, Quang Ninh province, due to rough seas and heavy rains, have been taken ashore safely.
Translated by Tran Hoai
- Ed Curran: Dublin must move on the backstop to fend off a no-deal disaster
- Poroshenko: In next 5 years, Ukraine must see peace, overcome effects of economic crisis, meet criteria for joining EU, NATO
- No deal could be disaster for horse racing and breeding, warns trainer Hamilton
- Alban Maginness: Facing into the disaster of a 'no deal' Brexit, we should be seeing more leadership from SF and DUP
- The story of the Munich Air Disaster when 23, including eight of Manchester United's Busby Babes, lost their lives
- Rescue effort underway after deadly Indonesia tsunami
- Kegworth disaster families and survivors mark 30 years since plane crash
- Poignant day for survivors as Kegworth air disaster remembered 30 years on
- The shocking truth behind Fyre Festival disaster revealed in new Netflix documentary
- No-deal Brexit must be ruled out to avoid disaster: Holyrood minister