For most children, Christmas is a time of excitement, singing carols and checking for Santa. But for young carers it can be one of the most stressful periods of the year. Nearly half of them feel responsible for giving their family a good Christmas, statistics from Action for Children show. Hundreds of thousands of young people will be looking after loved ones for 11 hours a day – 44% miss social activities and 20% feel stressed or lonely. We spent a day with Jasmine, 15, who has been caring for her mother – who has several health problems – for eight years and looking after her siblings. Jasmine, of Caernarfon, Gwynedd, is encouraging people to donate to Action For Children as part of the Mirror’s Give Kids a Cracking Christmas appeal. Readers have already donated £45,000. “Without Action for Children, I’d feel a lot more alone and struggle to balance work, friends and home life,” she says. Mum Elaine adds: “When I’m really sick, Jasmine takes over as mum. I’m glad I can call her my daughter – and I don’t tell her that often enough.” Here, Jasmine shares her diary – showing a typical day – with readers… 6am:… Read full this story
- 15 Ugly Christmas Sweaters We're Obsessed With
- Enjoying Christmas and Time with Family
- The Best HBO Shows of All Time and Where to Stream Them
- How old is Sir Tony Robinson, when did he play Baldrick in Blackadder and what TV shows has the Time Team host fronted?
- The Vampire Diaries star Ian Somerhalder reveals whether there will be a reboot of the hit supernatural show... and why he can't keep away from the genre
- Christmas Jumper Day 2019 is TODAY! Here’s what it’s all about
- Four Christmas recipes for alternatives to mulled wine
- Our top 100 Christmas TV countdown! From spine-chilling ghost stories to big belly laughs, we've picked out the very best shows to make sure you don't miss a thing
- Best Christmas 2019 gifts for pets and how to get £15 off presents from any retailer
- Harrods limits Christmas grotto to £2,000-plus spenders
Diary of carer Jasmine, 15, shows Christmas can be most stressful time have 333 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at December 20, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.