Bilbao Until recently, secondhand meant second-best for a country that remembered making do in tougher times, and only students and the city-dwelling vintage vanguard went to flea markets for fun. Now, old stuff is being viewed with a fresh eye. Bilbao is ahead of the curve – championing, repurposing and rendering cool the unique, pre-loved, quirky, crafted and durable. The gritty San Francisco barrio is a vintage showcase, from the upcycled decor of bars to hipster-run shops. “Providing second opportunities” is the mantra at La Zapa de 2 de Mayo, where restored machines are used to repair shoes and custom-make new ones from leather or recycled bottle material. Independent vintage shops abound, though the best bet for finding them open is to go on the first Saturday of the month, when the Rastro 2 de Mayo flea market is on and loads of vendors gather to sell everything from vinyl to luggage and jackets, knick-knacks and art in an ebullient atmosphere, along with stuff that’s harder to take home, such as 1950s furniture. There are two big vintage markets on Sundays in the industrial warehouse district of Zorrotzaurre. The Open Your Ganbara flea market fills the Antigua Fábrica de Galletas… Read full this story
- 15+ Best Vintage Retro Style WordPress themes 2016
- 21 Best Vintage & Retro Style WordPress Themes For 2018
- 10 of the best city music festivals in the UK for 2019
- 2018 Best of the Springs winners announced in dining, A&E, city life, recreation, shopping and more
- Seattle named 4th best city in America for vegetarians
- Let's Shop for Swimsuits in 1967
- Paris attacks: Is Belgium Europe's favourite gun shop?
- Brussels lockdown: How is city affected by terror threat?
- Tell Us Your Best Moscow Travel Tips
- Tell Us Your Best Edinburgh Travel Tips
Six of Europe’s best cities for vintage and retro shopping have 286 words, post on www.theguardian.com at November 16, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.