‘His contributions in setting up transparent precedents of governance are still basically intact despite the cynicism of several of his successors,’ notes Jamini Bhagwati. Photograph: Homai Vyrawalla Nehru was a towering figure in Indian politics for over four decades. His impact on the country overshadows that of all other PMs who have come after him till now. Nehru’s successors did not have his level of wide reading (except P V Narasimha Rao), his capacity to reflect and write, or his ability to make moving speeches. Nehru’s speech at Independence and when Gandhi passed away, and The Discovery of India, written while he was in prison, are simple and yet relevant even today, and should be compulsory reading in high schools. Nehru as the first head of India’s central government had the burden of reconciling a range of retrograde and poorly informed attitudes to forge consensus on forward-looking social legislation and government policies. The enormous domestic, foreign policy and security challenges that Nehru addressed all look simple to face with the benefit of hindsight. Memories have faded about the difficult environment in which India was put together in its present form. First, a liberal and forward-looking Constitution was adopted based on… Read full this story
- Soccer: Napoli come close to PSG feat
- Lionel Messi is the best finisher in football. Does anyone else come close?
- Messi is the best finisher in football. Does anyone else come close?
- Turkish artillery fire comes close to US forces in Syria
- Nam finishes comes close at Hải Đăng Cup
- Nick Clegg turns down Strictly Come Dancing and mocks Theresa May’s ‘weird’ jig
- Who is Giovanni Pernice? Strictly Come Dancing 2018 pro who’s paired with Faye Tozer
- Faye Tozer’s husband Michael says he’s had a ‘tough week’ but insists they will ‘march on’ after she gets close to Giovanni Pernice
- How old is Debbie McGee? Paul Daniels’ widow and magic assistant, and Strictly Come Dancing 2017 star
- Strictly Come Dancing professional dancers Kevin and Karen Clifton set to divorce after her affair
No other PM has come close to Nehru's success have 335 words, post on www.rediff.com at November 14, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.