Born in Allahabad on November 14, 1889 to lawyer Motilal Nehru and political leader Swarup Rani Thussu, Nehru grew up at the palatial Anand Bhavan. As a young boy, he grew up with his sisters Vijaya Lakshmi and Krishna. Vijaya Lakshmi was a freedom fighter who became the first woman to be appointed president of the UN General Assembly and Krishna became a writer.Nehru left for England in 1905, and joined the famous Harrow Public School the same year and was there till 1907. He studied natural science at Trinity College, Cambridge, and law at Inner Temple, London. In 1912, he returned to India and married Kamala Kaul in 1916. Their only child, Indira Priyadarshini, was born in 1917.During a train journey in 1919, Nehru had overheard British Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer gloating over the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, in Amritsar, Punjab. 379 people were killed and 1200 wounded, at the massacre on April 13 that year. Such remarks incensed Nehru strengthening his resolve to fight the British and establish a free India.POLITICAL CAREERNehru’s political life began in Allahabad with his involvement in the Home Rule movement (inspired by Annie Besant and Lokmanya Tilak) and in Gandhi’s Non-cooperation… Read full this story
- Virat Kohli's "Stomach To Compete" Makes India Favourites In Australia: Sir Vivian Richards
- Vo Trong Nghia wins Dezeen Awards 'Architect of the year'
- Deodhar Trophy: Gill, Agarwal maul sorry India 'A'
- Virtual India at your service
- Are these the most remarkable shots in modern cricket?
- Ravi Shastri to continue as India head coach
- India has put forward reasonable proposals for RCEP deal: Prime Minister Modi
- One community’s battle over virginity tests in India
- Why WhatsApp spyware episode should be a wake-up call for India
- Ancient tools found in India undermine the “out of Africa” hypothesis
Jawaharlal Nehru: Architect of modern India have 282 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at November 14, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.