HÀ NỘI – Viet Nam national team star Đoàn Văn Hậu has been nominated for the Young Footballer of the Year prize at the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Awards.
Hậu is the only Vietnamese player nominated at the continental-level individual awards, which will be held in Hong Kong on December 12.
Japan’s Hiroki Abe and Lee Kang-in of South Korea have also been shortlisted for the title.
The 20-year-old left-back won the V.League 1 trophy with Hà Nội FC earlier this year, and moved to Dutch side SC Heerenveen on loan in September.
Though has yet to make his debut in the Eredivisie, he remains an indispensable player in Park Hang-seo’s Vietnamese lineup.
Hậu contributed to the national team during their AFF Cup win and to the U23 team on their way to silver in the Asian U23 Championship last year. He also competed for various national teams at the U20 World Cup and the Asian Cup.
The annual AFC Awards honour the continent’s most outstanding individuals, teams, and associations during the past year. VNS
- Ceres, Global rule PFL semis, return to AFC Cup next year
- Ronaldo nominated for FIFA player award
- Ceres optimistic of AFC Cup draw result
- The Real Madrid youth system that produced Álvaro Morata has turned into a money printing machine
- Real Madrid youths allowed to play despite FIFA ban
- Brunei to defend title for ASEAN Youth Football Championship
- Filipino wins tae kwon do silver in Asian Youth Games
- Agojo wins silver in Asian Youth Games
- China millions lure poor South America players
- Kaya signs nine players for 2016 season