By Laura Faith Kebede, Chalkbeat Tennessee Yesterday Chalkbeat reported that 10 Memphis schools had high lead levels, and today Shelby County Schools officials released a list of 14 additional schools with at least one water source that has tested positive for unsafe levels of lead. District officials told reporters Thursday that they are waiting on test results from samples at 30 more schools and should have more information on Monday. So far, district leaders said 39 water samples out of 2,300 have come back above state’s threshold for safe water, which is 20 parts of lead per billion parts of water. (The federal limit is 15 parts per billion.) Tennessee law mandates that districts annually retest samples between 15 and 20 parts per billion, but does not require that districts remove those water sources. The tests, done by a contractor, cost the district about $100,000, which was not provided by the state. The newly released list is the second of three waves of results district officials expect from testing done during fall break last month. A water fountain at Idlewild Elementary School that tested at 30 times the state’s threshold had the highest lead level in the second wave of… Read full this story
- #Flint: As 4-Year Anniversary Nears, Water in Schools Still Shows Elevated Lead Levels
- Screenings offered after lead found in some Memphis schools
- High hormone levels in blood raise prostate cancer risk
- Cannabis, tax breaks, lead in water fill legislative agenda
- Around 100,000 Pounds of Salad Recalled After Samples Tested Positive for Potentially-Deadly Strain of E. Coli
- Nearly 100,000lbs of salad recalled from Target and Aldi stores after testing positive for deadly E Coli
- Mosquito Trap Tests Positive For West Nile Virus In Naperville
- Father, 38, who stole 12 toy dinosaurs and some pillow cases from a school 'was very high at the time'
- 5 More Mosquitoes Test Positive For West Nile Virus In Bensalem
- Latin America's wake-up call on global school tests
14 More Memphis Schools Test Positive For High Lead Levels In Water have 305 words, post on patch.com at November 8, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.