Illustrative image (Photo: Internet) Hanoi (VNA) – The World Bank (WB) has said the Malaysian government needs to diversify and increase its revenue resources, including widening coverage of the sales and services tax (SST) to rebuild fiscal buffers. In its October 2019 edition on the Economic Update for East Asia and the Pacific, themed “Weathering Growing Risks”, released on October 10, the WB said exercises towards diversifying revenue resources are needed, as Malaysia’s comparatively high level of government liabilities would continue to exert constraints on fiscal space available in the event of macroeconomic shocks. The WB’s lead economist in macroeconomics, trade and investment Richard Record said the challenge of the government now is to widen coverage of the SST. He also said the government could introduce more progressive elements in its revenue policies, including a realignment of tax incentives and an expansion of personal income taxes to rebuild fiscal buffers. According to him, widening the SST coverage would lead to inflation in the country, and the exercise could be implemented when the inflation rate is comparatively low. The government can identify those items consumed most by the low-income group, and take measures to protect them, he said. The WB forecast… Read full this story
- Don't panic! A step-by-step guide to everything you need to know as Tax Day approaches
- Proposed budget will expand services; tax levy will go up
- President Obama to hosts on ABC’s ‘The View’: You need to pay more taxes!
- We need a National Service Reserve for disasters like Maria, Irma and Harvey
- Ordan: Beating underscores need to protect services
- EXCLUSIVE: NYC rolling out new unit to connect residents in need with social services
- 3 principles needed in Kentucky's tax reform | Bailey
- AT ISSUE: Top 10 ways to slash property taxes
- Republican health bill would widen America's big wealth gap
- Airline to ban children from economy class; Malaysia Airlines now has age restriction on economy section of plane
WB: Malaysia needs to widen sales, services tax coverage have 312 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at October 10, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.