SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Chinese organizers on Wednesday cancelled a fan event on the eve of an National Basketball Association (NBA) exhibition game in Shanghai, the latest fallout in a row over comments by a team official supporting protests in Hong Kong. Chinese sponsors and partners have been cutting ties with the NBA after a tweet by Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey last week supporting anti-government protests in the Chinese-ruled city. The Shanghai Sports Federation said the cancellation of the fan event ahead of Thursday’s game between the Brooklyn Nets and Los Angeles Lakers was due to the “inappropriate attitude” of Morey and NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. A Wednesday afternoon press conference with both teams was indefinitely delayed, organisers said. Outside the team hotel, workers tore down massive banners advertising the game were torn down by workers, according to a Reuters witness. Silver said on Tuesday the league supported Morey’s right to exercise his freedom of expression, further angering authorities and some fans in China and threatening the NBA’s business there, said to be worth more than $4 billion. Morey deleted the tweet and apologised on Monday, but Chinese broadcasters, sportswear companies and sponsors have said they are reviewing their… Read full this story
- Africa: Football Fans 'Unanimously' Agree That Mo Salah Deserves Ballon d'Or
- Zimbabwe: ED Declares Row With Britain Over
- Zimbabwe: War Veterans Demand Housing Stands, Free Parking and 'Freedom of the Town Status'
- Bacon sales sizzling, amid depleted supplies and spiking prices
- Malawi: President Mutharika for a Malaria Free Malawi By 2030
- Philippines government books Trump hotel as Duterte pushes for free trade deal with US
- Zimbabwe: Decision to Cancel Anjin Licence Illegal
- Uganda: Minister Opendi Directs Police to Arrest Residents Misusing Free Mosquito Nets
- The cultural appropriation police are turning fried chicken, dreadlocks and prom dresses into a race row
- Kenya: Suspects Walk Free, Thanks to Laxity in Court
UPDATE 5-Chinese organisers cancel NBA fan event amid free speech row have 305 words, post on feeds.reuters.com at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.