UAE national team will be without their top scorer, Ali Mabkhout, in their upcoming 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifier against hosts Vietnam next month, after being booked in the 2-1 loss to Thailand on October 15.
In the defeat to hosts Thailand in their Group G clash on Tuesday, Mabkhout received a yellow card and under the rule, players who receive two yellow cards will be suspended for the next match. Earlier, Mabkhout was also booked during their 2-1 win over Malaysia.
The striker will be suspended in the trip to Hanoi’s My Dinh Stadium on November 14. Without the 1990-born player, UAE will find it hard to break the unbeaten Vietnam, who are in second place in Group G after two consecutive wins over Malaysia and Indonesia.
Mabkhout’s suspension is a huge loss for UAE as he is the best striker of the West Asian side in the World Cup Qualifiers. He alone scored six of the UAE’s total of eight goals from the beginning of the Asian second qualifying round.
Mabkhout is also the number one striker in the history of the UAE team with 55 goals. In the UAE’s defeat against Thailand, he scored the only goal for his side. The UAE lost 1-2 and fell to 3rd place in Group G.
Mabkhout had scored against Vietnam in 2013 in the UAE’s 5-0 victory against the Southeast Asian team in the 2015 Asian Cup Qualifiers. Nhan Dan
Vietnamese goalkeeper Dang Van Lam was named among the 10 best goalies of the 2020 World Cup qualifiers in the Asian zone by afc.com on Wednesday.
Vietnam have climbed to second place in Group G in their qualification campaign for the World Cup 2022 following their impressive 3-1 victory over Indonesia in Bali on October 15.
- Wolverines start World Cup qualifying against Jamaica
- Canadian men’s team wins over Venezuela in FIBA World Cup qualifying game
- Next Media earns broadcast rights World Cup qualifiers
- Thailand, Vietnam draw in opening 2022 World Cup qualifier
- War Elephants to face neighbours in World Cup qualifiers
- Canada’s rugby men closer to confirming opponent for final Rugby World Cup qualifier
- North hosts South Korea in blacked-out World Cup qualifier
- FIBA World Cup qualifiers next for Gilas
- Azkals waste early goal, fall to Syria in World Cup qualifiers
- It's confirmed: Chanathip to miss World Cup qualifier