CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (AP) — The latest on Turkey’s offensive in northern Syria (all times local):11:55 p.m.The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed the situation in northern Syria with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.The Kremlin says that during Tuesday’s talk the leaders “noted the need to prevent conflicts between Turkish army units and Syrian government forces” and also confirmed their “adherence to Syria’s territorial integrity.”The Syrian army has moved north under a deal with the Kurds, who have sought protection from the Turkish offensive that followed the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the area. The Russian military has moved in to act as a buffer between the Syrian and Turkish armies.The Kremlin says Putin warned that the Islamic State militants in Kurdish custody mustn’t be allowed to flee.It also says Erdogan accepted an invitation to visit Russia “in the nearest days.”———9:20 p.m.Russia’s defense minister has had a phone call with his U.S. counterpart to discuss the developments in Syria.Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has spoken to U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper to discuss “issues of mutual interest in the context of the situation in Syria,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a terse statement. It didn’t offer any details.Earlier on… Read full this story
- Putin and Erdoğan agree Syria ceasefire after last-ditch talks
- Putin, Trump, Saudi King Salman Discussed Situation in Oil Markets, OPEC+ Talks - Kremlin
- Putin, Iran's Rouhani Discuss Syria Ceasefire, Peace Settlement in Phone Talks
- Iranian President Welcomes Russia-Backed Nationwide Ceasefire in Syria
- Militants Attack Settlement in Syria's Idlib - Russian Military
- Is the US-Russia deal on Syria's chemical weapons the right move?
- Turkey Leaks Secret Locations of U.S. Troops in Syria
- Kerry insists Syria strikes still an option as Obama defends deal with Russia
- Syria airstrikes: UK offers verbal but not military support to US
- Syria pledges to sign chemical weapons treaty and reveal scale of stockpile
The Latest: Putin and Erdogan discuss situation in Syria have 323 words, post on gazette.com at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.