KHARTOUM — Sudan announced on Wednesday a “permanent ceasefire” in the country’s war zones even as a key rebel group threatened to pull out of peace talks, accusing government forces of bombing its territory. Juba has been hosting talks between new Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s government and delegates from two umbrella groups of rebels who fought now ousted president Omar al-Bashir’s forces in Darfur, Blue Nile and South Kordofan states. The talks were launched on Monday, but the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N) told journalists it would pull out unless the government withdrew from an area in the Nuba mountains. The group said that for the past 10 days, government forces had kept up attacks on its territory despite an unofficial ceasefire. Late on Wednesday, the chief of Sudan’s ruling sovereign council, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, announced a permanent ceasefire in the three conflict zones. “General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has announced a permanent ceasefire to show that the government is committed to peace,” the sovereign council said in a statement. “The ceasefire is valid from the signing of this declaration.” An unofficial ceasefire had been in place since Bashir was ousted by the army in April in a palace… Read full this story
- South Sudan opposition rejects proposed peace deal
- Colombia engages 2nd rebel group in peace talks
- Why is Omar al-Bashir mediating South Sudan peace talks?
- South Sudan: Rebels Reject New Peace Deal
- South Sudan: Counter Attacks Dash Peace Hopes
- South Sudan: Violation of ceasefire leaves 18 dead, blame game continues
- US, N.KOREA PEACE PROCESS HITS A SNAG
- Taliban, U.S. envoy in Pakistan to review broken peace talks
- Insurgency endgame: There is no more road for peace talks
- The 5 most important achievements in 3 years of peace talks in Colombia
Sudan declares 'permanent ceasefire' as peace talks hit snag have 288 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at October 17, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.