Before Audi revolutionized rallying and four-wheel drive cars with the Ur-Quattro circa 1980, the company made front-drive vehicles underpinned by Volkswagen platforms (some things never change). Today’s Rare Ride 5000 hails from the waning days of Audi’s front-drive era, not long before an all-new 5000 set the template for aerodynamic sedan design. The car North America knew eventually as the 5000 was called the 100 by nearly every other market in the world. The 100’s first generation emerged under Auto Union ownership, shortly before that company’s consolidation into Audi. The model name signified the number of horsepower available in the small sedan and coupe. Based on the C1 platform, the 100 sold over 800,000 examples in a first generation that ran from 1969 through 1977. Toward the end, Audi was already experimenting with what would become Quattro; in 1976 the company produced a four-wheel drive prototype which never moved past the development stage. A second-generation (C2) 100 entered production in 1976 and was the first instance of Audi offering an inline-five engine in its midsize sedan. No longer interested in making a coupe, the C2 generation was offered primarily in five-door liftback guise, as well as a standard four-door sedan…. Read full this story
- GP's collection of retro 1980s toys including Star Wars, He-Man and Transformers action figures sells for £220,000 after his death
- Two Uber and two ride-share taxi drivers are tortured to death in Brazil 'as revenge after gang leader's sick mother had a ride cancelled'
- 'It was sport': Trump says he claimed $1.17 billion in business losses in the 1980s and 1990s as a 'tax shelter' and 'almost all real estate developers' did it as he blasts New York Times report based on 10 years of confidential IRS data
- Exclusive: Pentagon to stockpile rare earth magnets for missiles, fighter jets
- Pentagon to stockpile rare earth magnets for missiles, fighter jets
- Pierce Brosnan enjoys a scenic bike ride along Malibu's Zuma Beach with his wife Keely Shaye Smith
- Rare Platformer Nostalg-o-Kickstarter: Yooka-Laylee
- Whistle! — First Ride Hailing Company in British Columbia
- Rare 'Nintendo PlayStation' that was developed in collaboration with Sony 30 years ago and scrapped before release is expected to fetch MILLIONS at auction
- Powder Guaranteed by Ski Ride Tours Who Changes Ski Package Planning
Rare Rides: The Original Audi 5000, From 1980 have 355 words, post on www.thetruthaboutcars.com at October 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.