LOS ANGELES — Disney’s new Maleficent: Mistress of Evil topped the North American box office for the weekend with an estimated take of US$36 million despite falling far below the original 2014 film, an industry group reported on Sunday.
The original Maleficent, also starring Angelina Jolie, took in US$69.4 million in its debut weekend, going on to earn $758 million globally. Both films follow the evil sorceress of Sleeping Beauty fame; Michelle Pfeiffer plays a scheming Queen Ingrith in the latest movie.
Slipping to second in its third week out was Joker from Warner Bros., at $29.2 million for the Friday-to-Sunday period, Exhibitor Relations said. It stars Joaquin Phoenix in a backstory about the rise of Batman’s maniacal nemesis.
In third place was new Sony release “Zombieland: Double Tap, at $26.7 million. With a star-laden cast including Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Luke Wilson and Rosario Dawson, the zombie comedy is expected to remain strong through the month-end Halloween holiday.
In fourth was another Halloween-friendly film, United Artists’ The Addams Family, at $16.1 million. The computer-animated movie, which follows the spooky Addams family and some creepy relatives, features the voices of Oscar Isaac, Charlize Theron, Snoop Dogg and Bette Midler. A live-action version in 1991 grossed $113.5 million in the US.
And in fifth was Paramount’s Gemini Man, starring Will Smith as a retired hitman who must face off against a younger clone of himself. It took in $8.5 million. — AFP
- Doctor Sleep, Last Christmas & Midway Enter 3-Way Battle for the Box Office
- Doctor Sleep Bombs at the Box Office, Midway Flies in with Surprise Holiday Win
- Will Fifty Shades Destroy John Wick and Batman at the Box Office?
- War Epic ‘Midway’ Bests ‘Doctor Sleep’ At The Box Office
- LEGO Batman Wins Weekend #2 at the Box Office with $34.2M
- Will IT Chapter Two Scare Hustlers Away from the Top of the Box Office?
- Will Terminator: Dark Fate Have Joker Saying Hasta La Vista at the Weekend Box Office?
- Can Angry Birds 2 or Good Boys Take Down Hobbs & Shaw at the Box Office?
- Will Get Out Scare LEGO Batman Away from the Box Office?
- IT Chapter Two Pushes Pennywise Past $1 Billion at the Box Office