You’d think that Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, would have plenty of advice on how to spend Halloween. After all, she’s made a career out of highlighting the spooky and macabre. But think again. “I haven’t done anything but work on Halloween for the last 38 years, except when I had a baby in 1994,” she said recently while preparing for appearances this weekend at the Chiller Theater convention in Parsippany, N.J. “When people ask me what I’d like to do, I’m like: anything but work!” Fortunately, I found some others with horror in their bones to share recommendations on how to spend the scariest night of the year. The responses have been condensed and edited. Paul Tremblay Halloween is a time when I dip into short stories. I’d pair two of my favorite modern collections with classic collections. “Things We Lost in the Fire” by Mariana Enriquez, an Argentine writer, reminds me of Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery and Other Stories.” Enriquez’s stories are haunting and disturbing and play with ambiguity. But they also mine sociopolitical and gender anxieties like Jackson did. Enriquez’s “The Dirty Kid” is one of the most disturbing stories I’ve read in a while. Nathan Ballingrud’s… Read full this story
- Meghan King Edmonds celebrates Halloween as a zombie prom queen... amid nightmare split from husband Jim Edmonds
- Get Your Guts Ripped Out For an Awesome Halloween Costume
- Sky Blues will give it their all in bid to halt Crues title hopes, vows Jeffrey
- Evan Longoria suggests Rays should leave Tampa Bay
- Report: Kawhi Leonard hoping to return sometime in March
- Arizona Athletics: The Department’s Halloween Edition
- The Saints play a day before Halloween: Will they have the magic potion?
- The Best NFL Halloween Costumes Pictures: Tony Romo Gets Picked On
- 5 NFL Players Who Had Monster Games On Halloween
- NHL Daily: Jacob Markstrom, P.K. Subban Halloween Theme
Hoping for a Spooky Halloween? We Have Some Suggestions have 315 words, post on www.nytimes.com at October 24, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.