Tran Quang Hung, a former deputy head and general secretary of the Vietnam Water Supply and Sewerage Association, told VnExpress: “In Hanoi, the protection of water sources is uncoordinated. Unlike many other cities, Hanoi’s system of water distribution is too fragmented, with many companies handling the task [independently]. So when something happens, one company’s supply network cannot support another company’s.” Hung said the southern metropolis Ho Chi Minh City supplies water through the Saigon Water Company (Sawaco). This company uses its own water sources and also buys water from other water supply firms to distribute it to the entire city, which is beneficial to both the public and other water companies. “When the private sector gets to supply water, it only cares about profit and does not innovate technologies or protect water sources,” Hung said. The recent oil contamination of Hanoi’s water supply was, for instance, due to low-quality pipes and poor management, he pointed out. Hung expressed surprise at how poorly Vinaconex Water Supply Joint Stock Company (Viwasupco) handled the contamination, continuing their operations despite knowing the water was tainted. “Maybe they did not fully know the characteristics of used oil or they lacked patience, and continued their operations… Read full this story
- Ensure fresh water supply, Mekong Delta authorities told
- Lack Of Water Supply Hindered Concord Mansion Fire Response
- Strong snowpack is good news for California’s water supply as storms hit the mark
- Australian fires threaten Sydney water supply
- 'It's idiotic': FEMA mobile homes' 6-figure price tags are outrageous, officials say
- Orland Officials Say No To Ornate Water Tower
- Indonesian officials say they may have found doomed Lion Air jet fuselage
- US warship may have downed second Iranian drone in Strait of Hormuz, officials say
- Officials say death toll in Mogadishu, Somalia truck bombing over 300
- La Niña climate phenomenon sparks a 30% jump in diarrhoea cases in Africa 'because the increased rainfall flushes pathogens into water supplies'
Fragmented Hanoi water supply system cannot respond to crises, former official says have 316 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 21, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.