NBA commissioner Adam Silver has released a second public statement regarding the controversy over Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey’s tweet in support of Hong Kong pro-democracy protests, and the Chinese government’s punitive response to the tweet. The league office’s first attempt at an official response, issued over the weekend as the full scope of the Chinese government’s reactionary tantrum was still taking shape, amounted to Hey, don’t ask us about that Morey individual, we at the NBA are friends of the People’s Republic of China. As you might imagine, this went over very badly with critics from basically all sectors of American politics, who rightly saw it as an American sports league rolling over for a repressive totalitarian regime for the sake of preserving its ability to sell things to that regime’s subjects. In the new statement, which acknowledges the failure of the first, Silver is at pains to clarify that actually, the NBA is good, strongly supports everybody thinking it is good, and has values. Advertisement Here is the statement in its entirety, per NBA.com: I recognize our initial statement left people angered, confused or unclear on who we are or what the NBA stands for. Let me… Read full this story
- LeBron James, Adam Silver and More Comment on Gun Violence, 'Enough' Shirts
- NBA airballs Hong Kong support issue
- Jamal Adams doesn't believe Rob Gronkowski will stay retired: 'He's not fooling me'
- 1994 Pontiac Trans Am – Silver Jubilee
- Why NBA Legends Don't Fully Endorse AD, KD's Public Displays of Empowerment
- Masai Ujiri the big winner in Raptors reaching NBA Finals
- Grading Every NBA Team 1 Month into the Regular Season
- The Latest: OKC's Diallo leaps over Shaq to win dunk contest
- Channing Frye's locker-room superpowers still strong as he gets ready for retirement
- The Latest: NBA, FIBA bringing pro league to Africa
Adam Silver Issues Statement Meant To Appease Everybody; China Doesn't Buy It have 303 words, post on deadspin.com at October 8, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.