The People’s Committee of An Phu District, An Giang province reported that a rapid rise of floodwater inundated Vinh Loc, Vinh Hoi Dong and Phu Huu communes. Local authorities have been working to protect around 7,900 hectares of autumn – winter rice crops along dyke systems.
Amid the current situation, the local authorities planned to establish 35 kindercare places, launch 12 routes to carry pupils to school and ensure safety during the flood season.
According to Chairman of the People’s Committee of An Phu District Mai Minh Hung, there have been six landslides with the total length of 1,020 meters swallowing 5 to 10 meters of mainland in the locality.
In order to ensure safety for local people living near the dangerous areas, functional forces have evacuated 12 households. At the moment, the forces are urgently repairing a 340- meter long landslide in Vinh Truong commune.
Pursuant to the latest report from the National Hydrology Meteorology Forecast Center, the upstream floodwater levels on the Mekong River in the Mekong Delta have changed, it is expected to recede gradually.
By September 25, the highest water levels at Tien River’s Tan Chau station and Hau River’s Chau Doc station are expected to reduce to 3.45 meters and 2.85 meters under alert level 1 respectively.
Five days later, the flood water levels at the stations are forecast to increase by 0.1- 0.15 meters over the alert level 1 due to influence of heavy downpours in the upstream areas.
Previously, Tri An hydropower plant released from 150-300 cubic meters of water per second in order to protect the reservoirs.
By staff writers- Translated by Huyen Huong
- River tides reach flood warning level 3 in HCM City, Mekong Delta
- Flood alert in the Mekong Delta
- Low, late floods worsen saline intrusion in Mekong Delta: experts
- Mekong Delta sinking as construction rises, groundwater depleted
- Mekong Delta sinking as groundwater gets depleted
- Mekong Delta needs urgent measures to prevent drought, saline intrusion
- Urban areas in Mekong Delta face serious flooding
- Salinity in Vietnam's Mekong Delta forecast not to worsen
- Mekong Delta, HCMC warned of tidal flooding in lowland, riverside areas