National Assembly Chairwoman Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan (R) and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Singapore Sundaresh Menon at the meeting in Hanoi on September 16 (Photo: VNA)
Welcoming the Singaporean delegation, the host leader said their working visit, during which a memorandum of understanding on information exchange between the Supreme Court of Singapore and the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam has been signed, is of critical importance as it will help strengthen the strategic partnership between the two countries.
Chief Justice Menon said during the visit, he will give a lecture on conciliation, noting that amidst growing international trade disputes, conciliation will help change those disagreements. Besides, conciliation is also useful to the judicial sector as it will help save costs and time for the parties concerned.
The Supreme Court of Singapore is ready to share experience in this field with the Vietnamese counterpart, he added.
Chairwoman Ngan said the two countries have set up the strategic partnership, and many Singaporean businesses and investors have operated successfully in Vietnam. Therefore, judicial cooperation will help facilitate bilateral economic, trade, investment and tourism activities.
She appreciated the Singaporean court’s support for and assistance in judicial cooperation activities with Vietnam, and highly valued the achievements that Singapore’s legal and judicial systems have obtained, considering them the highlights in which it can share experience with other ASEAN countries.
The top legislator affirmed that the Vietnamese parliament supports the court system to make judicial reforms and encourages the Supreme People’s Court of Vietnam to enhance exchanges with and learn experience from courts around the world, including Singapore.
She also lauded the ASEAN courts’ establishment of the Council of ASEAN Chief Justices to serve as an ASEAN connecting institution, aside from the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly.
On this occasion, via Chief Justice Menon, Chairwoman Ngan sent an invitation to the Speaker of the Singaporean Parliament to pay an official visit to Vietnam.
- State’s chief justice to retire, leaves Ducey with 5th pick to Supreme Court
- Suspended Alabama Chief Justice Moore running for US Senate
- Indrajit Mahanty is new chief justice of Rajasthan high court
- Fox Host Lou Dobbs Calls for New Attorney General to Investigate 'Liberal' SCOTUS Chief Justice John Roberts
- Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Nathan Hecht calls for nonpartisan judicial elections, bail reform
- Ohio Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor calls for criminal justice reform measures
- House GOP unveils changes in nominating judges, choosing chief justice
- Christian Theological Seminary hires leader with social justice background
- Missouri Supreme Court chief justice: the state of the judiciary is good
- In these times of political turmoil, a former N.J. judge applauds the ‘conservative’ chief justice for his quiet independence