A new kind of dinosaur has been unearthed in Japan, and it’s the largest dinosaur skeleton ever found in the country. Researchers believe the bones help to explain the origin and evolution of dinosaurs in the region. The dinosaur is a completely new genus and species of the plant-eating hadrosaur, which roamed the Earth in the late Cretaceous period, more than 65 million years ago. Its skeleton was discovered underneath 72-million-year-old marine deposits in the town of Mukawa, according to a study by Hokkaido University researchers, published in Scientific Reports. The first remains of the dinosaur were found in 2013, when scientists uncovered a partial tail of the reptile. Further excavations found a nearly complete skeleton — the largest ever found in Japan. The dinosaur was nicknamed Milawaryu, after the excavation site, but scientists later gave it a proper classification, Kamuysaurus japonicus, meaning the deity of Japanese dinosaurs. An analysis of 350 bones and 70 taxa of hadrosaurids determined that the dinosaur belongs to the Edmontosaurini clade, and is closely related to Kerberosaurus fossils unearthed in Russia and Laiyangosaurus found in China.Kamuysaurus japonicus has a few unique characteristics that separate it from other dinosaurs it’s closely related to. The cranial bone notch… Read full this story
- Fearsome meat-eating dinosaur the size of a bus with serrated teeth and razor sharp claws is officially recognised as a new species 30 years after discovery
- Tiniest Baby Dinosaur Discovered by Amateur Fossil Hunter
- Turkey-Sized 'Good Runner' Dinosaur Discovered in Australia
- 11 Amazing New Species Discovered in 2011
- New Species Sit on Museum Shelves for 21 Years
- Researchers Discover a New Species of Shark in the Gulf of Mexico — and it Glows in the Dark!
- Four New Species of King Crabs Discovered
- Canada’s first new tyrannosaur species discovered in 50 years
- Canadian Researchers Discover New 'Reaper of Death' Tyrannosaur
- Venomous spider that lurks in clothes and furniture with toxic bite that ROTS human flesh is discovered in Mexico
New species of dinosaur discovered in Japan have 312 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 6, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.