International Grandmaster Liem drew with Artemiev after 39 moves.
Artemiev, 21, is one of Russia’s top players. He is defending European champion and has been tipped for World Cup glory.
Former world blitz champion Liem will next meet Artemiev in the second leg.
If Liem qualifies for the fourth round as one of the last 16 players, he will earn 25,000 USD.
The FIDE World Cup 2019 is a 128-player single-elimination chess tournament held from September 9 to October 4.
The matches from round one to round six consist of two classical games.
The finalists of the tournament will qualify for the Candidates Tournament for the World Chess Championship 2020.
The total prize fund is 1.6 million USD, with the winner taking away 110,000 USD./.
- GM Le Quang Liem eliminated from FIDE World Cup
- GM Le Quang Liem to play tie-break at FIDE World Cup
- Liem set to play second tie-break in FIDE World Cup
- Vietnam’s No 1 player enters FIDE World Cup’s third round
- Draw for African World Cup preliminaries confirmed
- World Cup 2018: Emil Forsberg sends Sweden into last eight with 1-0 win over Swiss
- Quang Liem draws with Russian opponent in World Cup’s third round
- Three reasons why France will win the world cup
- Russia delivers a dramatic World Cup where the underdog could win it all
- World Cup 2018: Harry Kane Spurred On By England's World Cup Class Of '66