brexit countdown_bg Created with Sketch. Boris Johnson desperately begged his Remainer brother not to quit the Cabinet in a tense phone call before his bombshell departure, it was claimed today. But Jo Johnson dealt the PM a body blow by snubbing the plea to announce his resignation, saying he could not square ‘family loyalty and the national interest’. The news totally blindsided No10 officials, who had apparently not been told by their boss about his intentions. A Downing Street spokesman said Jo had been a ‘brilliant talented minister’ and the premier understood it will not have been an ‘easy’ decision. Mr Johnson is on the Remainer wing of the Tories, having previously resigned from Theresa May’s government accusing her of bungling negotiations with the EU and called for a second referendum. However, he signed up to the ‘do or die’ pledge to leave the EU by Halloween – with or without a deal – when he joined his brother’s Cabinet in July. It is another shattering setback for the premier after Remainer MPs boxed him in by passing a law to prevent No Deal. He has also been blocked by Jeremy Corbyn from calling a snap election to ‘let the people… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson snuffs out Cabinet calls for early easing of lockdown: PM intervenes from Chequers rehab to insist a second peak of coronavirus outbreak not economic misery is the biggest danger
- Two offices in Parliament are sealed off after health minister Nadine Dorries catches coronavirus: Tory MP reveals her aide is also infected as she sends message to colleagues saying 'I can't remember every person I was in contact with last week'
- Boris Johnson is 'reluctant to end lockdown over fears of a second wave of coronavirus infections' - despite lowest daily death toll for two weeks - but Sunak and Gove want to 'run hot' and ease restrictions sooner
- Coronavirus live updates: Trump, Congress near deal on aid to small businesses, hospitals
- Brexit resignations – All the MPs who have resigned from Boris Johnson’s Conservative party
- 'I begged the paramedic, but they left': Husband of Filipino nurse, 50, who worked for NHS for 18 years tells how ambulance crew refused to take her to hospital... nine days before she died of coronavirus after he drove her himself
- EU: No Brexit deal without Irish backstop
- William and Kate reveal how they home schooled their children through Easter holidays, reveal fears for Charles, Prince Philip and the Queen and how they stay in touch with the rest of the royals via Zoom
- A Breacher, a Novice and a Liar Walk Into a British Government...
- Jon Cryer Reveals the Inside, Insane Account of Charlie Sheen's Infamous Meltdown
Boris Johnson BEGGED his brother not to quit: Emotional late-night phone call revealed as Jo Johnson deals the PM a body blow by walking out of Cabinet after 'Stalinist purge' of Remainer rebels have 441 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 5, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.