Christian Zionist John Hagee addressed an audience in Israel, or as Evangelicals tend to call it, the Holy Land. Photo: Gali Tibbon/AFP/Getty Images Those tuning in to the president’s occasional exhortations to American Jews to love what he loves and to hate what (or whom) he hates may wonder why he seems obsessed with this relatively small category of Americans, to the extent of accusing the vast majority of them of “disloyalty” to Israel. This tendency feels particularly strange when he seems to be beating his head against the ancient wall of Jewish predilections for left-of-center politics, which he appears to find peculiar even though it’s one of the best-known and most durable phenomena in the politics of this and every other age and place. Why does the man keep excoriating Jews for voting for Democrats? Does he really not understand the bloody history of right-wing “nationalist” and “populist” movements when it comes to Jews? Maybe he doesn’t; for an Ivy Leaguer, the president is impressively ignorant about an awful lot of things. But it’s more likely that all his talk about the Jews is really aimed at a very different audience: his white conservative Evangelical Christian electoral base, which… Read full this story
- Tucker Carlson: Biden cancels Keystone Pipeline, opens the border and shows who he really is
- Spike Lee Mocks Trump, Says If He Gets Reelected The ‘World Is In Peril’
- Trump: Talk Of 25th Amendment ‘Will Come Back To Haunt Joe Biden’
- Evangelicals, Police, Who Disliked Donald Trump's Immigration Policy Could Back Joe Biden's Reform
- Over 16,000 Christians Want Franklin Graham Fired for 'Helping Incite' Capitol Riot
- Republicans Block Measure Calling For Quick Removal Of Pres. Trump
- GOP Congressman Calls on Christian Leaders to 'Admit Their Mistakes' in Pushing Trump's Conspiracies
- Forget Putin, it's meddling by America's evangelical enforcer that should scare us
- Franklin Graham Compares 10 Republicans Who Voted to Impeach Trump to Betrayal of Christ
- Transgender minister who was born female reports conservative Christian to the police for branding his marriage to a woman 'evil and wicked'
When Trump Talks About Jews, He’s Really Talking to Evangelical Christians have 339 words, post on nymag.com at August 21, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.