Will France be able to find a middle ground in this situation, given Emmanuel Macron’s desire to establish channels of communication with Tehran and raise his rating by means of foreign policy after the six-month “yellow vests” crisis? France’s former Ambassador to Iran Francois Nicoullaud, in an interview with Sputnik, argues that this will not be easy for the Europeans: “We, the French, do not want to dissociate ourselves from the British, but we believe that the British themselves are being trapped”, he said. Sputnik has also discussed this subject with Dr Emmanuel Dupuy, president of the Institute of European Perspective and Security Studies, and Thierry Coville, a research fellow with the Paris-based Institute for International and Strategic Relations (IRIS). “Iran will perceive the deployment of European forces in the Persian Gulf as the cooperation of Europe with the United States to resume maximum pressure on Iran. This will not benefit European diplomacy, which is making efforts to maintain Iran’s participation in the JCPOA. Statements are being made, but it would surprise me if Europe would undertake to carry out this initiative”, Thierry Coville said, sharing his view. France’s Attempts to Restore Peace What is the position of France? It… Read full this story
- Iran vows to close key strait if US cuts off oil exports
- Iran to Launch Massive War Games As U.S. Aircraft Carrier Enters Gulf, Breaking Longest Absence Since 9/11
- Iran Military Will Send Ships Near U.S. Waters to ‘Wave the Flag,’ Just as Navy Did in Gulf
- Russia reopens Kerch Strait to shipping after standoff with Ukraine
- Russian Submarines Could Suddenly Surface Off U.S. Coast to ‘Shock America,’ Analyst Warns
- Fed's 'patient' approach to rate hikes helps allay fears
- Former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge: Trump was right to withdraw from Iran deal
- U.S. keeps up fight in Syria amid new threats from Turkey
- 'Netanyahu overplayed Lebanon border tunnels operation'
- Corruption Currents: Alibaba Unit Head Steps Down Amid Corruption Probe
Gulf Crisis: What Do Europeans Risk by Rushing to Strait of Hormuz? have 323 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.