close Video Twitter, Facebook uncover disinformation campaign orchestrated by China to discredit Hong Kong protesters The social media giants say hundreds of fake accounts are linked to a state-backed operation to sow chaos in Hong Kong and beyond. Twitter and Facebook suspended almost 1,000 accounts that were tied to a Chinese disinformation campaign that targeted pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. On Monday, Twitter announced that it had suspended 936 accounts that were related to the disinformation efforts. In a blog post, the company said the “coordinated state-backed campaign” was intended to “sow political discord in Hong Kong, including undermining the legitimacy and political positions of the protest movement on the ground.” The Jack Dorsey-led company said it had conducted “intensive investigations” into the suspicious accounts, which were taken down due to violations of Twitter’s policy against platform manipulation. BERNIE SANDERS WANTS TO BAN POLICE USE OF FACIAL RECOGNITION An example of content in violation that was taken down, provided by Twitter. Facebook conducted its own investigation, based on a tip from Twitter, and removed seven pages, three groups and five accounts involved in “coordinated inauthentic behavior” that originated in China and also targeted Hong Kong. “They frequently posted about local political… Read full this story
- Police fire teargas and water cannon at Hong Kong protesters
- Violent Pro-China ‘Triad’ Mob Attacks Hong Kong Protesters, No Arrests Made
- Hong Kong protests: Celebrities, big brands and China's media game
- What are the Hong Kong protests about?
- Hong Kong protests: Leader Carrie Lam defiant on extradition plan
- Hong Kong protests: tech war opens up with doxxing of protesters and police
- Hong Kong protesters need more support, dissidents tell German book fair
- China warns against 'meddling' as US House passes bill backing Hong Kong protesters
- Hong Kong protests: Were triads involved in the attacks?
- Hong Kong protests: demonstrators storm legislative building
Facebook, Twitter accuse China of disinformation campaign against Hong Kong protesters have 298 words, post on www.foxnews.com at August 19, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.