A PETITION begun by a Moray resident calling for the child protection system to be overhauled will be debated at Holyrood on Thursday. The document is asking for an independent inquiry into the system which, it argues, is both “outdated and out of control”. Jim Mackie has campaigned long and hard on the subject, acting as an advocate and supporter to a number of families who have had children taken into care. He said: “Currently about 1.5% of all children in Scotland (about 13,000) are in care not at home. “Nobody denies that in some cases children do need to be taken into care. “Our argument is about the procedures currently used. “The fact is that the current system separates children and their whole family for decades with serious outcomes for all concerned. “At the moment, there is no vehicle for investigating individual complaints. “The Scottish Public Services Ombudsman can only investigate the way in which a local authority has handled a complaint made to them and not the original complaint. “The only other action available is a civil action through the courts, which is beyond the finances of most families.” Mr Mackie added that the minimum down payment in… Read full this story
- Instagram fuels 70 per cent rise in online grooming of children
- COVID-19 Cases Among Children Continue To Surge, Experts Warn It May Get Worse
- Protect children from online threats with this trusted smartphone tracker
- States to Protect Minors Who Lost Parents During Covid, Ensure Education Continues: SC
- Children's hospitals plead Biden for 'immediate help' in 'capacity crisis'
- States should bear fees of children who lost parents to COVID-19 if private schools don't waive off fees: Supreme Court
- Jabs for children are a political controversy, vaccine experts warn
- Tougher age checks needed to stop children stumbling across porn, social media giants urged
- Protect children with vaccination before sending them back to school
- FAST FACTS: Why online sexual exploitation of children happens in the Philippines
Current system 'not protecting children' have 315 words, post on www.northern-scot.co.uk at August 30, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.