By ELIZABETH MERAB More by this Author By AFP More by this Author The World Health Organization on Wednesday declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a “public health emergency of international concern,” a rare designation only used for the gravest epidemics.”It is time for the world to take notice,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement, as he accepted the advice of his advisory board to invoke the emergency provision (PHEIC), only used by the UN health agency four times previously.Those included the H1N1, or swine flu, pandemic of 2009, the spread of poliovirus in 2014, the Ebola epidemic that devastated parts of West Africa from 2014 to 2016 and the surge of the Zika virus in 2016.The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said it “welcomed” the decision.”While it does not change the reality on the ground for victims or partners engaged in the response, we hope it will bring the international attention that this crisis deserves,” the IFRC said in a statement.The WHO’s international health regulations, drafted in 2005, say that the international emergency label should apply to a situation that is “serious, unusual or unexpected; carries implications for… Read full this story
- WHO declares Ebola outbreak over as Liberia gets all-clear
- WHO mulls global health emergency declaration on Zika
- African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak
- Ebola outbreak 'over by August', UN suggests
- WHO 'unfit for health emergencies'
- Liberia declares state of emergency over Ebola virus
- Brazil issues Olympics warning as WHO declares Zika emergency
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- Vietnam to apply health declaration to visitors from Ebola-hit area from Aug 15
- Struggling Liberia creates 'plague villages' in Ebola epicenter
WHO declares Ebola outbreak 'health emergency' of international concern have 282 words, post on www.nation.co.ke at July 17, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.