Dake Kang and Joe Mcdonald Associated Press Published 4:38 PM EDT Jul 31, 2019 Shanghai – U.S. and Chinese envoys held “constructive” trade talks on Wednesday, the White House said, after President Donald Trump rattled financial markets by accusing Beijing of trying to stall in hopes he will fail to win re-election in 2020. The meeting, aimed at ending a tariff war over trade and technology, ended about 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Neither delegation spoke to reporters before U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin left for the airport. But White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said in a statement hours later that “the meetings were constructive,” and that talks are expected to resume in Washington in September, though exact dates were not announced. According to the statement, the Chinese confirmed their commitment to President Donald Trump to buy more U.S. agricultural exports, something Trump had publicly been casting doubt on. Economists had said quick breakthroughs were unlikely because the two governments face the same disagreements over China’s technology policy and trade surplus that caused talks to break down in May. Trump and President Xi Jinping agreed in June to resume negotiations but neither has given any… Read full this story
- Pence Slams China on 'Rights and Liberties' Ahead of Trade Talks
- Pence takes aim at China in wide-ranging critique ahead of trade talks
- Pence tells Hong Kong protesters in China speech: 'We stand with you'
- Mike Pence lashes out at NBA over China controversy
- USTR: US, China 'Close to Finalizing' Parts of Phase 1 Trade Pact
- US, China 'close to finalising' parts of trade deal: US Trade Representative
- US, China "Close To Finalising" Part Of 'Phase 1' Trade Deal
- Mike Pence tells Hong Kong protesters in China speech: 'We stand with you'
- UPDATE 3-Pence backs HK protesters in China speech, slams NBA and Nike
- Pence backs Hong Kong protesters in China speech, slams NBA and Nike
U.S. calls new round of China trade talks ‘constructive’ have 308 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at July 31, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.