US President Donald Trump on Wednesday (Jun 3) accused China and Europe of deliberately weakening their currencies and stimulating their economies to gain competitive advantages over the United States.
|US President Donald Trump, picture here on the South Lawn of the White House last month, has accused China and the EU of currency manipulation. (AFP/MANDEL NGAN)|
Trump’s latest Twitter outburst came as the Commerce Department reported that the US trade deficit surged to a five-month high in May, in part on record imports of automobiles – goods on which Trump has threatened to impose steep duties.
The US Treasury, however, again reported in May that China was not manipulating its currency and departing European Central Bank Chief Mario Draghi last month rejected similar accusations from Trump, saying the ECB does not target the exchange rate.
“China and Europe playing big currency manipulation game and pumping money into their system in order to compete with USA,” Trump said on Twitter.
Trump also implied that the Federal Reserve should likewise ease monetary policy, something he has called for in the past.
“We should MATCH, or continue being the dummies who sit back and politely watch as other countries continue to play their games – as they have for many years!” the president said.
Shattering recent political norms, Trump has repeatedly lambasted the Fed and its chairman, Jerome Powell, saying that the bank’s comparatively tighter monetary policy jeopardizes US economic growth and puts the United States at a disadvantage compared to Europe and China.
The Fed has signalled it is open to lowering interest rates if necessary but analysts say markets should not be overly confident the central bank will cut rates this month.
- Trump asks China to remove all agricultural tariffs on US
- Trump Accuses Google of ‘Helping China and their Military’ But Not the U.S.
- Trump says China is 'more honorable than Chuck and Nancy'
- Trump says China will cut tariffs on American cars
- U.S. and China Near Currency Deal, but Provisions May Not Be New
- Trump delays China tariff hike after 'productive' trade talks
- Tesla struggles to get its Model 3 to China, Europe
- Donald Trump accuses critics of peddling bull---- as he goes on attack after damaging week
- Trump talks China, border wall, Kim summit before leaving for Vietnam
- New Trump Accuser Says Her Goal Is To Get ‘Justice For The Other 20 Plus Women’