British Prime Minister Theresa May attended an emergency meeting of the country’s top government and security leaders on Monday, as London mulls its reaction to Iran’s seizure of a British oil tanker. The Cabinet Office Briefing Room A (COBRA) meeting usually includes ministers, security, intelligence and military chiefs. The ministers are reportedly considering freezing Iran’s regime funds. On Sunday, UK Foreign Minister Jeremy Hunt expressed “extreme disappointment” over Iran’s failure to de-escalate the crisis, which began when Iran’s Revolutionary Guard intercepted the oil tanker Stena Impero in the Strait of Hormuz on Friday. After talks with his counterparts in France and Germany, Hunt said the safety of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz was “a top priority for European nations, while avoiding any possible escalation.” The UK also slammed the seizure as “illegal interference” in a letter to the UN Security Council. Hunt is expected to inform lawmakers about the government’s response on Monday afternoon. Retaliation by Tehran? Iran has said its forces took control of the tanker after it hit a fishing boat. The UK-flagged vessel allegedly turned off its transponder and failed to respond to warnings, according to Iranian officials, who added that the fate of the ship and its 23-member crew depends on… Read full this story
- UN in emergency meet on Ukraine
- The west lifts sanctions against Iran: Now what?
- Iran-Saudi crisis deepens as diplomatic ties cut
- Agreements worth over $64 billion signed at BRF meet: Chinese Prez Xi Jinping
- Nippon air force to hold first-ever Japan-based drill with UK
- US, allies see chance to resolve Iran nuke impasse
- Kerry cautious before new Iran talks, cites 'important gaps'
- Iran nuke talks go into double overtime
- Iran nuke deal ushers in heightened diplomacy in Syria
- The CEO of a $385 billion investor talks Trump, emerging markets, and problems in active management
Iran tanker seizure: UK holds emergency meeting have 300 words, post on www.dw.com at July 22, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.