Ambassador Duong Chi Dung, head of Vietnam’s permanent mission to the United Nations in Geneva (Photo: VNA) In opening the session, Ambassador Dung stressed the importance of cooperation in the framework of multi-lateral frameworks to address increasingly complicated common challenges to international peace and security. He recalled Vietnam’s contributions when it served as President of the CD for the first time in 2009, and underlined the country’s commitment to making continued contributions to peace and security, particularly when it was just elected to a non-permanent seat in the United Nations Security Council for 2020-2021 and will take up the rotary Chair of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in 2020. The Ambassador shared Vietnam’s priorities and tasks as CD President, especially holding simultaneous consultations with member countries, CD Presidents in 2019, coordinators and the secretariats, to gain understanding of all sides’ concerns and thus seek solutions to existing obstacles. Under Vietnam’s initiative, for the first time in CD’s history ASEAN Secretary General Lim Jock Hoi was invited to attend and speak at the plenary. The Secretary General reiterated ASEAN’s commitment to disarmament and non-proliferation of nuclear weapons, and introduced the main contents of the Southeast Asian Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Treaty (SEANWFZ). He called on countries with… Read full this story
- Vietnam helps ASEAN battle the COVID-19 pandemic
- Vietnam, Canada work to optimise benefits of CPTPP
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 21
- Vietnam's 4.5 millions people remain shortage of clean water
- What foreign ambassadors say about Vietnam's coronavirus fight?
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia May 22
- Vietnam, US promote footwear trade post-pandemic
- Vietnam remains among 4 most optimistic countries worldwide despite Covid-19
- Vietnam, China hold online discussions on farm produce, food trade
- Conference seeks ways to resuscitate tourism
Vietnam chairs plenary of Conference on Disarmament have 286 words, post on english.vov.vn at June 25, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.