Bridges made of tree trunks formed a path for soldiers to pass. VNA/VNS Photo A big meeting has taken place to remember what happened sixty years ago. By Nguyễn Mỹ Hà* The song “East of Trường Sơn Calling West” has become a soul-searching tribute to those who trekked through Việt Nam’s deepest jungle to unify the country. Starting in 2016, the live-televised show has brought together thousands of former soldiers, volunteers and students from the North who volunteered to go South and students who opposed the American war at that time to share stories and memories and recall those who fell for their country. This years, 350 veterans, researchers and guests met in Đăk Nông at a national conference titled “From Trường Sơn to Hồ Chí Minh Trail – Symbol of the Will for Nation’s Reunification” to commemorate its 60th anniversary. During the conference, military historians, retired generals and strategists reviewed the key points, tactical battles and important logistical decisions to keep the trail safe from enemy bombs, artillery shellings or simply tropical storms and flash floods. Trường Sơn — Hồ Chí Minh Trail Sixty years ago, Gia Nghĩa Town was the meeting point between the North and South on the Trường Sơn Trail, hence the reason for holding the conference there…. Read full this story
- Video: Unity key as Huddersfield Town take another big step towards survival
- Former Saints skipper Geoff Pimblett has died, aged 73
- How Britain's biggest love rat was finally brought to justice by the women he shamelessly cheated and conned
- Judith Blake: From the Leeds United terraces to the corridors of power
- Best spots to watch the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon on April 22
- 2012 and all that
Meeting remembers key transport route have 288 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at June 1, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.