(CNN)Italy failed to qualify for last year’s Men’s World Cup in Russia, a devastating blow to a nation that lives and breathes football. But the Italian women are doing brilliantly at this year’s Women’s World Cup in France, making history Friday by reaching the knockout phase for the first time since 1991 after Cristiana Girelli’s hat-trick inspired a 5-0 victory against Jamaica. England also advanced, edging a determined Argentina 1-0 to move to a perfect six points. If picking up a win against one of the favorites, Australia, in its first World Cup game wasn’t enough, Italy has already advanced from its Group C cohort, which also includes traditional powerhouse Brazil. It follows a hugely successful qualifying campaign where, not surprisingly, the Italian defense was difficult to breach. Read More “Emotions I’m feeling are of joy, sheer joy,” Italy coach Milena Bertolini was quoted as saying by FIFA. “We wanted to move on in the group phase and to do this after two matches is a great satisfaction for us. “The girls were awesome, to stay with their feet well planted on the ground considering all of the attention and coverage we’re getting back home.” The win in Reims against… Read full this story
- World Cup 2006 Review - Last 16
- 2006 World Cup Basics
- World Cup History - What was the the Best World Cup?
- World Cup Picks
- Who Will Win in Quarter Finals of World Cup 2006 Germany
- World Cup Superstars - Who Is The Greatest Player?
- World Cup 2006 Preview - Australia
- 2006 FIFA Soccer World Cup Referees About To Be Selected
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 Is Not Something To Be Missed Out On
- The Soccer World Cup Opening Game - Germany v Costa Rica Match Report
Italy ends nearly 30-year drought at World Cup, joins England in round of 16 have 287 words, post on edition.cnn.com at June 14, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.