A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece recalling my own fish fry memories of Western New York, and just how embedded the scent and taste and aura of that entire experience became within my sense of being part of in this region. I asked readers if they felt the same way, and if they had their own powerful memories of fish fries in greater Buffalo and beyond. This was the result, with light editing. Dear Sean, You hit the nail right on the head, taking me back as a boy in a family of eight. We lived in Kensington Heights (also known as ” The Projects”). My dad worked at Bethlehem Steel and mom at Marine Midland Bank. Mom’s check helped out a little, but all of us looked forward to dad’s coming in, every two weeks. We didn’t own a car, so all eight walked to the corner of Fillmore and E. Delavan to a place called Strinka’s Bar & Grill. Dad enjoyed his draft of Simon Pure, Mom and us kids a pitcher of Iroquois Birch Beer. The anticipation was overwhelming, the shuffleboard kept us occupied, and when the fish fries finally arrived, it was heaven on… Read full this story
- Food for the soul: A colourful vegetable stall, fishermen casting their nets and a beekeeper carefully working with a hive feature among beautiful winning images in food photography awards
- I’ve hardly seen a soul for months, but in a way I’ve never felt less alone
- EXCLUSIVE: 'They came in, looked around, said, ''Suicide,'' and left.' Parents of 27-year-old teacher found stabbed to death 20 times in the head and chest tell how they have collected a 'mountain of evidence' to prove their daughter was murdered
- Burritos, remixed: When a San Francisco classic gets a new look
- Nigel Slater's top 10 spring recipes
- Sandi Toksvig: 'I came out, and the tabloid press thought I was Cruella de Vil'
- Biryani, kebabs, sheer mal, kheer: Here are a few recipes that you can enjoy this Eid ul-Fitr
- Alicia Keys' Morning Skincare Routine Will Instantly Calm You in These Trying Times
- Disappearances, danger and death: what is happening to fishery observers?
- International Museum Day 2020: Where does the term museum come from; a look at some interesting museums from around the world
WNY responds: Fish fries as 'part of our collective soul' have 378 words, post on buffalonews.com at May 30, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.