LUCKNOW: For the first time, all major political parties in Uttar Pradesh seem to have woken up to the growing importance of the 76 sub-castes among the most backward castes (MBC). In many constituencies, the sub-castes play a key role in determining an election result. Backward castes constitute 51% of UP’s population. The emergence of regional parties representing particular castes, and quota have empowered dominant castes among MBCs. However, lower castes are still deprived. The benefits of reservation in government jobs and educational institutions have not reached them. Complete coverage: Lok Sabha elections The Social Justice Committee, set up by then chief minister Rajnath Singh in 2001, underlined that of the total 79 Most Backward castes, 75% of Class I jobs had gone to only the Yadavs and the Kurmis since Independence. This has helped the Yadavs and the Kurmis to get government jobs as well as a space in the political system. Then, in 2016, CM Yogi Adityanath set up another panel to implement quota within quota for MBCs. In 2018, it found that barring the dominant castes, the majority were deprived of reservation benefits. The recommendations of the two committees were dumped, apparently under pressure from the dominant… Read full this story
- Congress uses Batla House encounter to woo UP Muslims
- Real Housewives of Atlanta Reunion: 'Bolo Court' was held as the debate over what happened at Cynthia's bachelorette party heats up
- Narendra Modi Cabinet big Rejig: UP gets lion’s share, seven junior ministers
- 'Loss of 2 seats in UP has frightened BJP in Karnataka'
- Rajbhar's Power-sharing Formula for UP: 5 CMs in 5 Years
- As Mayawati Turns 65, Her Biggest Challenge Remains Reviving Party and Facing Contenders
- It’s Mission UP: Narendra Modi Cabinet Expansion Sends Clear Signal before Make or Break Polls
- How do we address the complicated claims of backwardness by various politically powerful castes?
- Cabinet reshuffle | Inductions from U.P. reflect BJP’s focus on caste equations ahead of 2022 polls
- Pressure mounts to make public ‘caste census’ report
Why parties are wooing UP’s most backward sub-castes have 317 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at May 1, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.