May 25, 2019 | 09:00 pm GMT+7
Local residents rush to the scene to recover the bodies of the victims. Photo acquired by VnExpress.
Four sixth grade school girls drowned in Lao Cai Province Saturday after going swimming in a local stream.
The accident happened in the mountainous province at around 2 p.m. A group of six students in Bat Xat District went for a swim in the stream, which is seven to ten meters deep, and hidden behind bamboo thickets.
Unfortunately, the school girls fell into a deep water hole and only two of them managed to swim to the shore.
The bodies of the four students were recovered at around 3 p.m.
“This morning was the last class of the school year and they didn’t have to go to class in the afternoon,” a local official said.
Child drowning deaths are not uncommon in Vietnam. More than 11,000 children drown each year, according to a recent survey by the World Health Organization.
The rate of child drowning in Vietnam is higher than other Southeast Asian nations and 10 times higher than that of developed countries, the survey said.
On Monday, four students from the central province of Khanh Hoa, home to the famous beach resort town of Nha Trang, also drowned in a local river.
Last month, eight primary and secondary school boys in Hoa Binh drowned in a local river.
Bloomberg Philanthropies (BP) had last year announced a $2.4 million donation to fund the first two years of a five-year program to prevent drowning deaths among children in Vietnam.
- Sixth-grade Science Students Invent Device, Seek Patent
- Rising Storm 2: Vietnam adds 64-player campaign mode that takes place over 11 battles
- Study: E-Commerce Flourishing in Northern Europe
- Wildlife photographer rescues a drowning eagle, for the second time
- The Sixth Faction of Total War: Rome II Hails From Germania
- Workshop talks sustainable livelihood for women amidst climate change
- VGA Union Cup kicks off amateur golf championship in 2019
- Students Falsely Accused Of Assault At Springfield School: Report
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole Big Gay Al's Big Gay Cats Scavenger Hunt location guide
- South Park: Phone Destroyer brings obscene card combat to mobile on November 9