Israel on Sunday said it had started to build a new barrier along its border with the Gaza Strip, according to the Defense Ministry. The ministry said in a statement that the above-ground barrier — 65 kilometers long and six meters high — would work in conjunction with an underground wall also under construction, to neutralize the possibility of cross-border tunnels built by Hamas militants. Read more: Intifadas: What you need to know “The barrier will prevent terrorists from Gaza from penetrating into our territory on the ground,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at the weekly cabinet meeting. The ministry said the barrier will be similar to the one that runs along the border with Egypt, but said it would have “significant improvements” and will be made up of some 20,000 tons of galvanized steel. A history of the Middle East peace process UN Security Council Resolution 242, 1967 United Nations Security Council Resolution 242, passed on November 22, 1967, called for the exchange of land for peace. Since then, many of the attempts to establish peace in the region have referred to 242. The resolution was written in accordance with Chapter VI of the UN Charter, under which resolutions are recommendations, not… Read full this story
- Israel destroys tunnel from Gaza it says intended for attacks
- Israel airstrikes strike Gaza Strip during Palestinian 'day of rage'
- Work begins on building Donald Trump’s Mexico border wall as diggers pictured building prototypes
- Gaza Instagram stars want world to get the picture
- Israel air strike destroys Hamas tunnel under key Gaza crossing
- Israel raises threshold to cede parts of Jerusalem in peace deal
- Israeli fire kills 2 in Gaza after blast wounds soldiers
- Palestinians From Gaza Armed With Grenades Caught Inside Israel
- Israeli warplanes hit Gaza after new rocket attack
- Israeli air strike destroys Hamas tunnel under key Gaza crossing
Israel builds new barrier along Gaza Strip border have 289 words, post on www.dw.com at April 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.