SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Jennifer Siebel Newsom on Monday backed her first initiative since her husband became governor in January, a drive to promote equal pay for women. “California has the strongest equal pay laws in the nation — but there is still more work to do,” said Siebel Newsom in a statement. California women as a group are paid 89 cents for every dollar men make, according to a 2019 report ADVERTISEMENT White women are paid 80 cents of what men make on average; Asian American women 75 cents; African American women 60 cents; and Latinas 43 cents, according to the report. Former Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law in 2015 that the author, Democratic state Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson of Santa Barbara, said has become a model for 41 other states. California now requires equal pay, regardless of gender, for “substantially similar work.” It also prohibits retaliation against employees who invoke the law, protects those who discuss wages and allows claims based on salaries at different workplaces. Jackson is promoting another bill this year that would require California employers with 100 or more employees to report pay data to the state each year, including compensation and hours worked broken… Read full this story
- Want Equal Pay Day to go away? Add more women to corporate boards
- Laura Dern is continuing to advocate for equal pay: 'We have the right to be paid equally'
- Sheryl Sandberg Launches Equal Pay Day Initiative #20PercentCounts
- California governor ends Legislative session with vetoes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Won’t Accept A Role Unless His Female Co-Star Gets Equal Pay
- California voter guide: closer look at contests for state office
- American companies such as Goldman Sachs among UK's worst gender pay gap offenders
- Election live blog: Key Florida governor and U.S. Senate races too close to call
- Cynthia Nixon schools Andrew Cuomo on how not to pander to women
- 'The Act's' Patricia Arquette on Playing "Unlikable Women" and Her Push for Equality
California governor’s wife promotes equal pay for women have 306 words, post on apnews.com at April 1, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.