March 29, 2019 | 09:15 am GMT+7
Vietnam (red) clash Singapore at the 2018 AFF Women’s Championship in July 2018. Photo by VnExpress/Nam Anh
The Vietnamese women’s football team left for Uzbekistan Thursday for the second round of qualification for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
It includes many players who played in the 2018 Asian Games where the team made it to the quarterfinals.
For the qualifying tournament the team had one month’s preparation including a training trip to Myanmar.
As Asia’s sixth highest-ranked team, Vietnam received a bye into the second round, where they are placed in Group B.
Coach Mai Duc Chung said, “Except the host, Vietnam will take on opponents who are equal to or somewhat weaker than us. In general, all teams have good physical strength but Vietnam still have a big chance of qualifying.”
All Group B matches will be played in Uzbekistan. The group winner will enter the third round to be played in January or February 2020.
Vietnam face Uzbekistan on April 3, Hong Kong on April 6 and Jordan three days later.
- South Asian Games 2019: Indian women football team start with big win
- Indian women’s football team trounces Sri Lanka 6-0 in South Asian Games
- Igor Stimac admits scoring goals is ‘big problem’ for current Indian football team
- South Asian Games: Indian Women's Football Team Thumps Sri Lanka for 2nd Straight Win
- South Asian Games 2019: Indian women's football team pump six past Sri Lanka
- Vietnamese women’s football team receive big bonus
- India vs Russia Olympic Hockey Qualifier Highlights: India Beat Russia 4-2 In 1st-Leg Of Tokyo Olympics Qualifiers
- US women's team's equal pay talks with federation end in deadlock
- "I've Signed For A Football Team," Usain Bolt Teases Fans In Shock Announcement
- PM Nguyen Xuan Phuc congratulates Vietnam’s men football team