At least 40 people are dead after a ferry sank in the Tigris River, near Mosul in Iraq. The ferry was overloaded, police and medical sources say. The passengers were reportedly celebrating the Kurdish New Year. Most of the casualties on the ferry were women and children who could not swim, the head of Mosul’s Civil Defence Authority Husam Khalil said. Local media are reporting more than 60 bodies had been pulled from the water by about 2pm (GMT). There was believed to have been around 200 people aboard the ferry celebrating the Kurdish New Year, according to local reports. Footage posted on social media shows the ferry upside down, Al Jazeera reports. The rescue team is still retrieving survivors and has rescued 12 people so far, Mr Khalil said earlier. Footage purportedly from the scene shows people struggling to swim in fast-moving water. Terrified screaming can be heard as people watch helplessly from the river’s banks. Photographs of the scene show people spilling out in the muddied river close to what appears to be a theme-park. The war-torn area has suffered from intense conflict. Islamic State lost its stronghold in the city of Mosul in 2017. The Kurdish new… Read full this story
- Turkey gives IS militant 40 life sentences for 2017 attack
- Defunct century-old ferry in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta now water under the bridge
- Ken Nightingall dead: Star Wars' iconic boom operator and 'pink shorts boom guy' dies
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Chi Chi DeVayne to Dame Vera Lynn
- 2nd crew member, dead cows found after ship sinks off Japan
- Moment easyJet passenger is escorted off plane at Glasgow Airport after refusing to wear mask during flight from Luton
- Shocking moment police officer PEPPER-SPRAYS rail passenger for resisting arrest after ordering him to wear a face-mask - despite him claiming he is exempt due to a 'medical condition'
- Macaulay Culkin turns 40! Paris Jackson and Sarah Michelle Gellar are quick to wish the former child star of Home Alone fame a great day: 'You are like a fine wine'
- Multiple vessels sink during a Trump Boat Parade on Lake Travis in Texas and people are rescued from the water - as nationwide MAGA celebrations kick off for the Labor Day weekend
- Furious passenger on TUI plane from Zante that had SIXTEEN covid cases claims 'inept' crew did nothing as flyers took off masks amid fears Greek resort is coronavirus hotspot
Over 40 passengers 'celebrating Kurdish New Year' dead in Mosul ferry sinking have 394 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 21, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.