On Tuesday, U.S. Sen. Kamala Harris unveiled her intention to deliver the largest federal investment in teacher pay in the history of the United States. In declaring a crisis in teacher pay in America, Harris noted that public school teachers are paid 11 percent less than similar professionals with college degrees, and expressed her commitment to closing the pay gap entirely within her first term. Advertisement Teachers are underpaid in general, but for black teachers and students, the prognosis is even grimmer. Outside of black teachers earning an average of $2,700 less per year than their white counterparts, turnover for teachers who serve schools with a high concentration of students of color is an astonishing 70 percent higher. Additionally, despite the fact that black teachers boost reading and math achievement, as well as graduation rates while inspiring students of color to pursue college, their meager wages directly influence their diminished presence in schools. And we won’t even get started on the racial inequities regarding student loans or school funding. It’s a damn mess, but a mess that Harris appears ready and willing to confront at any cost. As evidenced by her proposal on Tuesday to spend a jaw-dropping $315 billion… Read full this story
- Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren Introduce Racial Equity Plans
- Kamala Harris, in a Pivot, Makes Her Play for Iowa
- How did the Idaho Legislature address education in 2019? Here’s everything to know
- Kamala Harris’ campaign focuses on black colleges for support
- Are Indian-American Voters Ready to Embrace Kamala Harris?
- How Kamala Harris Charmed the 1 Percenters
- How San Francisco’s Wealthiest Families Launched Kamala Harris
- Kamala Harris gets real
- Why is Kamala Harris running for president?
- Kamala Harris says Nevada inspired some of her policies
Cut the Check: Kamala Harris Announces $315 Billion Plan to Address Educational Inequality in Black and Brown Communities, Jump-start HBCUs have 280 words, post on www.theroot.com at March 26, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.