DEHRADUN, India (AP) — Afghanistan notched a historic maiden win in only its second test match when it defeated Ireland by seven wickets in the one-off test ending Monday. Needing 118 runs, Rahmat Shah scored his second half century of the match and Ihsanullah Janat made 50 in his debut test as Afghanistan reached 149-3 just before lunch on the fourth day. “It was our dream to play test cricket and today we won a test match so I am very happy for Afghanistan and its people,” Afghanistan captain Asghar Afghan said. “I want to give credit to the bowlers, especially Rashid Khan, Waqar (Salamkheil), Yamin (Ahmadzai) and (Mohammad) Nabi because the wicket was good for batting.” Leg spinner Rashid claimed the match haul of 7-102 and played the test match while nursing his injured spinning finger. It was only the second test match for both countries since gaining test status in 2017. Afghanistan lost its inaugural test against India last year before Pakistan went on to beat Ireland. Man-of-the-match Shah, who missed out on the century in the first innings before falling for 98, played another splendid knock of 76 with 13 fours before he got stumped when Afghanistan… Read full this story
- Rahane to lead against Afghanistan, Rohit left out
- Live Cricket Score: England vs Sri Lanka 2nd Test Day 5 at Headingley
- India vs England Highlights, 2nd Test: Woakes, Bairstow Star As England Dominate India On Day 3
- Joe Root says 'sky is the limit' for Ollie Pope after England beat South Africa in third Test
- Joe Root concedes Test-record 28 runs in an over; did he bowl himself for too long?
- India vs Bangladesh 2nd Test Day 1 Highlights: Virat Kohli, Fast Bowlers Put India Ahead On Day 1
- Rashid Khan Named Afghanistan Captain Across Formats
- India vs Afghanistan: Karun Nair Says He Has Improved As A Batsman
- Pant, Kuldeep picked for first three Tests; Bhuvneshwar doubtful
- Mathews double ton gives Sri Lanka chance to push for victory
Afghanistan clinches historic maiden test victory have 314 words, post on apnews.com at March 18, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.