The opening ceremony for the annual Cobra Gold maneuvers launched the biggest exercise of its kind in the Asia-Pacific region, with 29 nations taking part as participants or observers over ten days until next Thursday. In addition to Thailand and the US, seven other nations are actively participating: Singapore, Japan, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea. About 4,500 US personnel, on land and sea, are taking part. The exercises continue until February 22 and are made up of three major components: military field training, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief training. Read more: Can China rival the US Navy in the Pacific? The goals include “enhancing maritime security, preventing and mitigating emerging disease threats, and responding to large-scale natural disasters,” a US statement said. Acting head of the US diplomatic mission in Thailand, Peter Haymond, said on Tuesday at the ceremony in the northern Thai province of Phitsanulok that the aim of the exercises, first held in 1982, was to strengthen cooperation and inter-operability. ICBM threat and North Korea’s overall military strength Major achievement In early June 2017, North Korea test-launched an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) for the first time. Testing an ICBM marked a major military achievement for Pyongyang and a… Read full this story
- China's Military Enters Japan and Taiwan Air Zones, Says 'Get Used to It'
- Fiji's police and military using torture with 'near impunity', Amnesty says
- Breaking the cycle of discrimination against Asian Americans
- View: China's flexing military muscles in the time of COVID-19
- US military offers condolences over Iran accident killing 19
- People’s Army Newspaper launches emulation movement
- Asian designers and stylists speak out against COVID-19 racism
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson to launch Covid-19 alert system
- K-pop superstars BTS won't be exempted from mandatory military service
- Tottenham forward Son Heung-min completes military service in South Korea
US and Asian nations launch 'Cobra Gold' military exercises have 289 words, post on www.dw.com at February 13, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.