From fearing the sack to analysing referees and dropping players, John Kiely, Derek McGrath, and John Meyler offer some lessons from life as an inter-county manager, writes Stephen Barry.What would you do in the pursuit of All-Ireland glory?Would you drop everything and drive half the length of Ireland to convince a player to commit for another year? Would you endure the barbs from your own fans as everything you’ve built malfunctions? Would you look a fella in the eye and break his heart?Derek McGrath, John Kiely, and John Meyler gave some insight into these questions and more at CBC’s ‘The Road to Success’ event, which delivered a riveting insight into the minds and methods of some of Ireland’s top GAA managers.There were stories of persistence from Kiely, who feared being sacked a year before winning the All-Ireland with Limerick. There were stories of preparation from McGrath, who revealed Waterford’s forensic video analysis of referees.And there were stories of psychology from Meyler, who strives to influence his Cork players’ lives in every hour outside the training ground.Three managers, three educators, and three grounded, decent men who set the example for what they want their players to live up to.Jackie Tyrrell wrote… Read full this story
- Please be quiet: my search for a noise-free life
- How to work with someone who isn’t emotionally intelligent
- The Invisible Man Review: A Real-Life Movie Monster Breathes Life Into an Antiquated Concept
- How many stars is a smile worth? The social cost of emotional labour
- Inside the Richmond bunker as the Tigers reflect on success of Marlion Pickett recruitment
- Mahanati movie review: Keerthy Suresh breathes life into Savitri’s beautiful tragedy
- ' Jordan Fisher Reveals His Adoption Story: 'My Life Could Have Been Very Different'
- Column: Wildcats president Heather Karatz a model for women as successful sports executives
- Woman Declares Herself Pro-Life After Watching The ‘Gosnell’ Movie
- Janet Baker: A life in music
Three of hurling’s most successful managers on the emotional rollercoaster of life on the sidelines have 320 words, post on www.irishexaminer.com at February 16, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.