News / UK and world by Press Association February 2, 2019, 9:58 pm Updated: February 2, 2019, 10:08 pm Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter An MP has been accused of making a “totally false” statement to his followers on Twitter about Europe and Britain after the Second World War. Daniel Kawczynski, the pro-Brexit Conservative backbencher for Shrewsbury, claimed in a tweet that there was “no Marshall Plan for us only for Germany”, referring to American payments of more than £12 billion approved in 1948 to help rebuild Europe. “Dan is categorically wrong about the Marshall Plan,” said Dr Warren Dockter, an American expert in British history and lecturer in international politics at Aberystwyth University, echoing hundreds of people on social media pointing out Mr Kawczynski’s error. Quoting from The Marshall Plan: Fifty Years After, a seminal academic book on the subject, Dr Dockter said Britain received 26% of Marshall Plan donations, more than any other country. France received 18% and West Germany received 11%, he said. “In addition to Marshall Plan money, the UK received favourable loans and grants on top of the Marshall Plan aid,” he told the Press Association. Britain made its last… Read full this story
- Brexit latest: Macron ally steps into row - Brands Lord Frost's demands 'tall tale'
- 'The only way to go!' Clacton-on-Sea residents ecstatic about Boris Johnson's Brexit plan
- Brexit latest: Joe Biden's furious warning to UK as 'Frost tears up EU deal'
- Facing Defeat, Theresa May Delays Brexit Vote in Parliament
- Labour MP Apsana Begum Defrauded Taxpayer of £63,928, Court Hears
- A Brexit Deal in Hand, Boris Johnson Faces an Uphill Struggle in Parliament
- Brexit: Is there enough time left to ratify a UK-EU trade deal even if one is agreed?
- Spain Gloats It Has Gained Control of Gibraltar's Borders in Brexit Deal
- EU Wants to Put Spain in Charge of Gibraltar's Borders in Brexit Side Deal
- Brexit LIVE: Von der Leyen asked to resign after 'grievous error' by European Commission
Pro-Brexit MP makes ‘totally false’ claim about Europe after WW2 on Twitter have 315 words, post on www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk at February 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.