George C. Ford The Gazette Morris Neighbor, who died at age 100, actively supported many organizations Iowa banks ended 2018 in strong position Collins Aerospace girls-and-engineering event attracts 100 area students Cedar Rapids ranked highly for tech start-ups Review: Grammy-winning cellist, music highlight concert All articles by George During World War II, Morris Neighbor was sent to Europe with the 11th Armored Division of the U.S. Army, which fought in the Battle of the Bulge with General George Patton’s Third Army. An engraved brick in Neighbor’s office at Farmers State Bank in Marion was a reminder of his involvement in the battle that helped turn the tide of the war. Henry Royer, former chairman and president of Merchants National Bank (now U.S. Bank) in Cedar Rapids, said Neighbor was “a very unassuming, quiet guy, but he had a lot of experiences,” including helping to liberate the Mauthausen concentration camp. But Gene Neighbor said his father, who was a member of Marion American Legion Post 298, did not talk about his wartime experiences. “I can distinctly remember we were at some event during the Vietnam War,” Gene recalled. “He told someone that he served in the military so his children did… Read full this story
- Veteran actor Max von Sydow, star of The Seventh Seal, The Exorcist, Star Wars and many other productions, dies aged 90
- Pérez de Cuéllar, Peruvian two-term UN chief, dies at 100
- Pete Mitchell dead: BBC Radio 2 and 6 Music presenter dies aged 61
- NHL: Former Canadiens captain Henri 'Pocket Rocket' Richard dies aged 84
- Acting legend Max von Sydow dies aged 90
- Hundreds of STRANGERS turn out for funeral of a lonely British WWII veteran, 95, who died with no family or friends in an Australian care home
- In states like Colorado, aid-in-dying is legal — but the medicine is often out of reach, especially for patients of religiously affiliated hospitals
- One year on, Lyra McKee's legacy: 'She would be there for you. 100%'
- Worldwide coronavirus infection toll hits 100,000 as the World Health Organization's chief warns 'this is NOT a drill' and urges countries to 'pull out all the stops' to contain the killer virus
- More than 100 Britons who were aboard coronavirus-hit cruise ship in California are sent HOME in taxis to self-isolate after finally arriving back in UK
Morris Neighbor, who died at age 100, actively supported many organizations have 373 words, post on www.thegazette.com at February 24, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.