LONDON: A global coalition set up to fight emerging epidemics has struck a US$31 million deal with scientists at Japan’s University of Tokyo to speed up work on a vaccine against a brain-damaging disease caused by the Nipah virus.The Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) said the Tokyo University team would receive up to US$31 million to advance the development and manufacturing of a shot for the bat-borne disease.Nipah virus was first identified in 1999 during an outbreak of illness affecting pig farmers and others in close contact with pigs in Malaysia and Singapore. More than 100 people died in that outbreak, and about a million pigs were killed to try to halt its spread.Nipah is transmitted to humans via direct contact with infected bats, infected pigs or other infected people.At least 17 people were killed in an outbreak of Nipah in India last year in which 19 cases were reported – giving a case fatality rate of 90 percent.CEPI, which was set up at the start of 2017, aims to dramatically speed up the development of vaccines against new and unknown diseases – collectively known as Disease X.”There is an urgent need for accelerated research and development for the… Read full this story
- Two women scientists win the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the development of powerful gene-editing tool Crispr-Cas9
- Coronavirus: US FDA backs BioNTech-Pfizer COVID vaccine data
- Keir Starmer will ‘order Labour MPs to back Brexit deal to win back North’
- PM Modi interacts with three teams working on covid vaccine, hails scientists
- Three scientists win quantum prize
- Spotlight: Scientists optimistic on making COVID-19 vaccines affordable, equitable despite challenges
- Inside One Long-Delayed Comic Book’s Struggle to Win Back Fans and Retailers
- Revealed: EVERYTHING you need to know about Pfizer's Covid vaccine. What could the logistical challenges of delivering it be? Who will get it first? And where will people get it?
- V-Day heroes who are first in the world to have the Covid jab urge vaccine sceptics to have the inoculation for the good of the country – with UK set to receive more than one million doses in a week
- Boris Johnson and JVT reveal their intense emotions at being able to reveal roll-out of Pfizer vaccine that finally offers prospect of a return to real life on the day controversial Tier system came into being
Japan scientists win backing for work on potential Nipah vaccine have 382 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at February 24, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.