By Justin Sink Bloomberg Margaret Talev Thu., Feb. 28, 2019 President Donald Trump arrived at the Metropole hotel in downtown Hanoi on Thursday ready to strike at least a modest deal with Kim Jong Un that would nudge North Korea closer to giving up its nuclear arms. A document had been prepared, ready for the two leaders to sign in a much-anticipated ceremony before reporters. Progress had been made on a joint definition of “denuclearization,” Trump said — a major sticking point in the talks. The North Korean leader assured the president he’d continue to suspend tests of nuclear bombs and ballistic missiles. Then Kim decided to press his luck, in the president’s telling. And Trump walked away. The young North Korean leader had been successful before with surprise requests for last-minute concessions. In Singapore, he persuaded Trump to halt joint military exercises with South Korea in the closing hours of their first summit. This time, he went for more. Trump said Kim wanted the U.S. to lift all of its punishing economic sanctions against Pyongyang immediately. In exchange, North Korea would disable its Yongbyon reactor facility that had produced the fissile material for its nuclear bombs. Article Continued Below… Read full this story
- Kim Jong Un Dumps Trump
- How Kim Jong Un ‘Played’ Donald Trump
- Donald Trump's North Korea Visit with Kim Jong-Un Follows Ronald Reagan's Example | Opinion
- Trump acknowledged downplaying COVID-19 threat, says Woodward book
- How Trump and Biden contrast on foreign policy
- Donald Trump ADMITS he downplayed coronavirus after bombshell Bob Woodward tapes reveal he KNEW it was deadly saying he didn't want to 'cause panic' - and claims he was trying to 'show strength in the nation'
- 'Magical force': New book reveals Trump-Kim letters
- Donald Trump Told Supporters That Kim Jong Un Killed His Uncle and Put His Head on Display: Report
- 'A magical force': New Trump-Kim letters provide window into their 'special friendship'
- Why this Woodward book is devastating to Trump
How Trump’s Hanoi talks with Kim unravelled have 317 words, post on www.thestar.com at February 28, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.