Solid waste discharges to Phan Rí Cửa beach, Tuy Phong District, Bình Thuận Province. — Photo zing.vn Thu Vân Years of rapid economic development have left Việt Nam with negative externalities – noise and poor air quality arising from pollution and road congestion. Pollution was once accepted as the inevitable by-product of industrial development and promoted as economic progress. After World War II, eager for any sort of industrial development, governor of the US’ state of Alabama, George Wallace, described the odour from a local paper mill as “the smell of prosperity”. Public attitudes have changed significantly since then. Clean air to breathe is now recognised by the United Nations and others as a universal human right, essential to physical well-being. In 2016, the World Health Organisation (WHO) labeled air pollution a global public health emergency. It seems like we have too many emergencies here in Việt Nam. Việt Nam now ranks among the 10 countries with the world’s worst air pollution. Its biggest cities, including Hà Nội and HCM City, are reported to have dangerous levels of fine particulate matter. Annual average air pollution in Hà Nội in 2017 was four times higher than that deemed acceptable by WHO’s air… Read full this story
- Delhi air quality deteriorates, AQI remains in 'poor' category
- Exploring the Vietnam Air Defense - Air Force Museum
- Gemma Collins to give 'deeply personal interview on Piers Morgan's Life Stories where she will discuss her toxic romance with James Argent'
- Bill Maher says Ashli Babbitt knew California cared more about 'toxic Whiteness' than 'toxic brokeness'
- Maher: Ashli Babbitt Died Because California Cares about 'Toxic Whiteness' Not 'Toxic Brokeness'
- How to banish debt NOW: Financial adviser reveals her simple 'hit list' strategy for getting rid of 'toxic' credit card and home loan bills for good
- Huge fire at Hotpoint HQ in Peterborough as ‘explosions’ reported and locals warned of toxic smoke
- 2,000 GrabCar vehicles to be equipped with Panasonic nanoe X air quality solutions
- I'm a Celebrity host Julia Morris takes an on-air swipe at disgraced chef Pete Evans... after he was DUMPED from the line-up at the eleventh hour following his neo-Nazi meme scandal
- Ratted out by his ex-wife: Retired Air Force Lt. Col pictured with zip ties in Senate chamber is slapped with federal charges after his ex phoned the FBI - as Nashville bartender, 30, who attended Capitol riot with his mom is also arrested
Filthy, toxic air is not a symbol of prosperity have 399 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at February 22, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.