Email By Karen Percy and staff Updated February 22, 2019 18:56:07 Photo: A court sketch of James Gargasoulas during today’s sentencing hearing. (ABC News: Paul Tyquin) Related Story: Prosecutors push for life without parole for driver who killed six in Melbourne’s CBD Related Story: Police need better plan to stop next Gargasoulas, warns union Map: Melbourne 3000 Bourke Street murderer James Gargasoulas has been sentenced to life in prison for killing six people and injuring 27 others when he drove his car through pedestrians two years ago. Key points:James Gargasoulas was sentenced to six life terms for murderHe can apply for parole in 46 yearsThe judge described the Bourke Street rampage as one of the worst mass murders in Australian history Justice Mark Weinberg set a non-parole period of 46 years for what he described as a “callous and cowardly act”, after sentencing Gargasoulas to six life terms for murder.Prosecutors had argued for a life sentence without any prospect of release, but the judge said he had considered factors including Gargasoulas’s mental health in determining his eligibility for parole.In the lead-up to the CBD rampage in January 2017, Gargasoulas had spoken of “mowing people down” on at least three occasions,… Read full this story
- The murders most foul: He was jailed for the callous slaughter of three people... but did the Beast of Belgravia actually butcher ELEVEN victims?
- Grace Millane murderer launches appeal against conviction and sentence
- Tinder date who strangled British backpacker Grace Millane says his life sentence is too long because the judge focused on him watching porn and photographing her body
- Husband, 78, who murdered his wife in 1985 but has never revealed where he dumped her body gives 'confession' from jail as he faces parole hearing
- British tourist jailed in Egypt for smuggling painkillers is bribing fellow inmates with food to stop them beating her, as sisters are told not to visit her by the Foreign Office because they don't know where she will be
- Judge slams 'truly evil' killer for crafting a web of lies after he raped and murdered barmaid Keeley Bunker on way home from rap concert as he is jailed for life
- Hero PC Andrew Harper's mother slams 'unduly lenient' sentences for her son's killers who will go free in eight years - as she welcomes review of their jail terms
- Keeley Bunker’s mum said she hopes "friend" who raped and murdered her is never freed
- How two women solved the mystery of the Bear Brook killings that puzzled police for 30 years
- PC Harper's widow launches 'Andrew's Law' bid calling for 20-year jail terms for police killers
Bourke St murderer James Gargasoulas given life jail sentence but could get parole in 46 years have 424 words, post on www.abc.net.au at February 22, 2019. This is cached page on VietMaz. If you want remove this page, please contact us.